About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Moustaches & Bowties

January 21, 2014

A couple of days ago, we had Shay's 1st Birthday Party.  It was a Sunday afternoon of some snacks, drinks,  and friends.  We had the party to celebrate Seamus and his first birthday but also to thank all of the wonderful people in our lives who supported our family during Shay's first year.  Here are some pictures of the event:


"I'm sorry, you moustache me confused with someone else."

Gluten-free cupcakes.  Finlay was also gluten-free at his own first birthday party.  These cupcakes turned out quite well.  I developed a new icing that I can 'truffle frosting.'  I use a chocolate ganache made with coconut cream and my regular vegan butter-cream-frosting recipe mixed together.  It is rich and so yummy!

The cake was made with gluten-y goodness.  It was a layered cake and I used the new truffle icing inbetween the chocolate and vanilla layers.  I am told that it was yummy.

Moustache and Bowtie theme - a mobile.

Charlie and Carleigh with moustaches and bowties.

Cake time!  I look really excited.  

Finlay was even more excited.  He rushed over for his moment - I promised him that he could blow out the candles for Shay.

Shay was totally impressed with the cake.  Little bowtie on the birthday bub!

Candles.

Shay experienced the moment.  I watched him watch Fin with the candles and he was pretty mesmerized. 

First cupcake.  First processed sugar.  First chocolate.

First reaction.

I think he was disappointed that we hadn't let him have cake before.  He has watched us enjoy this mysterious stuff many times over the last year.

"This is amazing."

No, this is amazing.

Also amazing.

We survived the year!  We both couldn't be happier.  What an incredible life we have!

Birthday 'stache and bowtie.

Gotta have a ginger 'stache for the ginger baby.

You know it's a good party if you finish it in your birthday suit!

No comments: