About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Big Baby

January 14, 2012

It was a year ago that I posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxc4hhKqb-k

Finlay smiles a lot more at 13 months old.  It seems like he sleeps a lot more too.  Now that Finlay is in daycare, all Tyler and I want to do when we are home is play with him.  But, it seems like we wake up, get ready, go to work/daycare, come home, play for 30 minutes, and then have dinner and put Fin to bed.  It's a big adjustment for everyone.  I miss him like crazy all day while I am at work.  Then, I miss him when we put him down at night and I kind of want him to wake up and play.


Today, we went for a swim at the Y and before we got home the little man was asleep.  I carried him upstairs and into the apartment and he looked around and then closed his eyes again.  I lay him down on the bed to take off his shoes and vest and hat and he kept on sleeping.  I can't remember the last time we had a successful transfer from the stroller to the crib.  We were planning on giving him lunch.  I got the camera and took a couple of photos of his-cuteness before we put him into the crib.  That was nearly three hours ago.  He must have been tired.  I even showered, napped, had lunch, tidied-up a bit, now I'm writing the blog, this is insane!

Sleeping beauty.

So yeah, daycare is going well, I guess.

Fin didn't cry when Tyler dropped him off on Thursday and he didn't cry when I picked him up that afternoon.  All the other kids give him hugs and say big hellos and see-ya-laters and they get him his drink or a toy or a book.  Kyla, the caregiver, thinks he is the cutest and loves his gentle and thoughtful personality.  He is playing peek-a-boo and dancing and talking up a storm with her now.  It only took a few days for him to adjust.

Finlay seems to enjoy the bike-ride to daycare in the morning.  The first day he and Tyler made the trek he was cooing at the moon (it was full and really big) and just gleeful at every stop-light.  He also gets excited when I put him in the car at pick-up where he used to get upset about it.

But there are other changes - he is more interested in playing independently.  Also, he started really liking playing with cars and he rolls them around like a big kid.  He seems to be picking these things up from daycare.

So we don't quite have a toddler, as he isn't walking, but we are far from a baby...  What we have is a big baby.  And the best big baby at that.

No comments: