About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Snow Day!

January 18, 2012

I love snow.  I love the white blanket that envelopes the city and even though it's really cold you feel a sense of warmth. When I lived in Kingston, every winter morning I would awake to cars struggling as their cold metal engines were being defridgulated (defibrillated) back to life.  I would hear the scraping of ice, the crunching of boots, and the barking of dogs.  This morning I heard nothing.  It was so quiet when we crept into the living room and beheld a winter wonderland.  I love the silence of a snowy morning in Victoria.  Maybe a car drives through the fresh layer and makes that distinct crunching noise but other than that it was silent.

The city basically shut down.  There was no daycare, no school, no way I could push the stroller through the snow to the park.  I worked from home and Finlay played inside.  He really wanted to go outside.  He was begging me during a phone interview I was on and as soon as I hung up I bundled him up, put on my LJs, and out we went.  It was short-lived...

Smiling in the stroller.  We are standing in the parking lot.  The lot, the sidewalks, the streets, nothing was plowed.  I'm not even sure if Victoria has any.  

He had many layers under his Newt-Suit.  I pushed and pulled and lifted the stroller for one block and then turned around.  

I thought maybe we would play in the parking lot (none of the cars had moved all day) but he made a run (crawl) for the door right away.

Not really interested in the snow.

Here is Fin, on the front stoop, just waiting for me to open the door.

He kept pointing his mittened hands and moaning about the white stuff and the cold wind and wanting to go inside.  He is a real islander; he hates the snow.

Wasn't as much fun as we thought.

See the video:

No comments: