About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Another Beautiful Day as a Father

As you may have already noticed,  fathers day was a few weeks ago now. But my goodness how time flies. As per usual, I am behind on my blog contributions but I find myself with a bit of free time so it seems that it is time I get this down.

Lets start with the obvious. I am one incredibly lucky Dad.  The last two and half years have been better than any years of my life.  The amount of change that has occurred in such a short time in indescribable. There are the two beautiful boys that my partner Lyndze brought into this world, we have moved from a wonderful down town apartment to our own little house. I have been working at a new job for over a year and half, we sold our car, bought some bikes and went "car-free" and so much more.  But these things are the tangible, the easily seen and easily expressed changes that have occurred in my life.  What is not easily written in a blog is the immense change that has gone on within me over the past two and half years. It has been the hardest, most exhausting and most emotionally charged years of my life and I just feel so lucky to have been able to experience it.  I love every minute (okay...maybe not every minute... I mean Fin did turn two and has embraced that whole heartedly) but almost every minute that I get to spend with my family. Despite how much work it is I feel myself being recharged by them the second I get home from work.  I am so in love with my family and feel so lucky to be with them that it feels weird to have fathers day. A day dedicated to me... But I'll take it. And I am glad I did.

The Day started with a small sleep in and a shower as soon as I awoke.  As I reached for my toothbrush I found a small note with a message from Finlay on it.  As the morning went on I found more and more little notes, four notes from each of them. Each one was so sweet and was such a nice way to start the day.

                                    
Here is the card and notes.  I will keep the messages to myself but they were all so sweet. In particular the note dictated by Finlay and written word for word by Lyndze warmed my heart. 


We quickly got dressed and threw the kids into a stroller to spend a nice morning at Cafe Fantatico having coffee and feeding the ducks.  They have beautiful sunny patio there with amazing coffee, juice for Fin and a little pond where ducks and a place for Fin to run about with other kids.

We had our coffees and were going to walk towards the water to walk along the shore.  As we past the ship yard on our left we heard the sound of a fiddle.  Finlay's eyes lit up with excitement.  There, sitting in the middle of the shipyard was a fiddle and guitar player letting people know about the 140th anniversary of the ship yard and the free tours going on.   So in we went. If there is music, Finlay usually wants to be there.  If there are fiddle, there is no choice; Finlay has to be there.


In the first hanger (I don't know that that is what it is called in a shipyard...but it looked like an airplane hanger). was a large mural for people sign. Fin spent lots of time looking it over and him and Mom signed our names.

We walked through the shipyard and Finlay ran around to all the big equipment. He was in heaven!

Finlay quickly walked away from the tour group... To much history, not enough touching boats.

Mom and Fin walking up the ramp form one of boats in the harbour


We eventually pulled Fin away from dancing with the fiddlers (I cannot seem to find the video of that) and we went and had an amazing lunch at Spinnakers.  We had not taken Fin out to a formal restaurant in some time.  He kept everyone on the patio laughing. In particular, on his way back from the bathroom as he explained to everyone that he had pooped in the potty.  Thankfully this declaration by Finlay was met with laughs and congratulations.Fin was pretty proud!


Later in the day, Mom and Seamus napped but Finlay was not feeling up to napping so he and I baked bread together.  He seems to really love it and it is an incredibly fun activity to do with him.

I gave Fin his own ball of dough to knead and shape. He decided to make his into a "french-ish loaf" with two very thin ends.  If you watch the video below, Finlay explains the inspiration behind his bread.

 

All in all, I had such an amazing Fathers day.  I am an incredibly luck Dad and spouse. With so much excitement, and love from my family I was feeling recharged and ready to face another week at work. 



No comments: