About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Baby Groups

February 6, 2011

I've been to several baby groups - all different.  I'm looking for the right one.  This ideal baby group would have:
1) other babies
2) other parents
3) parents that some similar values
4) facilitators that treat the parents like the experts they are (with their own babes)
5) facilitators that offer some creativity in discussion topics, activities, and guest speakers

Each baby group I have been to serves the purpose of getting out of the house and having some interaction with other adults but I haven't found a group that I really enjoy.  Most of them involve sitting in a circle and taking turns complaining.  I went to one where Fin was the only baby!  I went to another where the facilitator read her introduction from notes (including her introduction of herself).  I guess I have pretty high expectations.  Perhaps I should start my own group?

Each group has had a little glimmer of hope.  One has an excellent facilitator who really knows her stuff and shares similar parenting values with Tyler and I.  Another had really great discussion questions about the mythes of motherhood which really opened my eyes and made me feel better about my shortcomings.  Another promises guest speakers.  And one showed us a couple videos (posted below) that really opened my eyes (and made me cry).

Reflections of Breastfeeding (made by some folks in Victoria)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axUEYbf_K8k

Reflections of Motherhood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDqKWWPDAY

Sort of cheesy, but some messages really hit home.  Also, the first video has an excellent song which has led me to my new favourite musicians.  Renee & Jeremy produce children's music that adults can enjoy.  Finlay and I are loving their lullaby album "It's a Big World".  You can listen to it online!

http://reneeandjeremy.com/

Please enjoy the links!  Another post with pictures is on its way!

lyndze

No comments: