About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

April-May: All-Day Sickness/Excitement

Lyndze:  We found out about the pregnancy and the excitement began.  We took these first pictures at week 5 and 6.  After that, I started feeling pretty sick and was not as interested in the camera.  They call it morning sickness but it was 24-hour nausea for me!  But the whole time I was perfectly happy being sick because it reminded me of our exciting secret and the excellent Christmas present that we are working towards: a baby!

Tyler:  This first month was a very interesting and exciting time for me.  It was a new kind of exciting in that the pregnancy at this point was fairly intangible for me.  I wasn't feeling sick.  I had no symptoms.  But I was filled with emotion nonetheless. However, I began to read stories of men who felt sympathy in such a way that they began to gain weight with their partner.  Sympathy weight was what really sold me on this pregnancy thing.  I've was told as a teenager that men usually went through two growth spirts... one they grew up and then a second one where they filled out.  While at age 27 I really feel like this is my chance to put on some of that sympathy weight and maybe keep it on after the pregnancy... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Lyndze:  By week eight I figured out that onions were the main culprit and once we got those out of the house and tried a more bland (bland for us) diet I seemed to eat some more.  Still, I lost about 3 pounds during the first 2 months.  I was pretty tired too, but this could have been due to the 70 hours a week I was working...  Tyler took really good care of me though.  He made sure I ate and got lots of sleep and stayed low-stress and focused on myself as much as possible.  The role he played was really special.

Tyler:  The timing of Lyndze's "morning sickness" landed smack dab in the middle of her crazy season. I would spend days at home attempting to make new concoctions of teas that were supposed to help and make foods that she would be willing to eat. I enjoyed this time as a chance to be creative with my cooking and despite how bad I felt for her and her current state I was still amused at the moments when mid-day the front door of our house would swing open and I would hear Lyndze begin a wonderful rant about the new smells she is discovering at camp that she never noticed before. Needless to say the camp dining hall was a "no-go-zone," but that can be the case some days even if you are not in the early throws of pregnancy.

Lyndze:  It was not all smooth sailing through the sea of nausea.  We did have one little scare where we had to have an early ultrasound to make sure Chick was okay.  Our wonderful midwives got us into the clinic within hours and the ultrasound showed a kidney-bean shaped thing that was wiggling.  The wiggling was the heartbeat which meant everything was as it should be.  We were both really relieved and felt a lot more confident in the pregnancy after this.  We couldn't stop talking about our little wiggler for days.




No comments: