About Us

Victoria, BC, Canada
This blog began as a modern "baby book" for our first child, Finlay, who was born in December of 2010. The recent addition of Seamus, born in January of 2013, has meant continued efforts to put into words and pictures his early years. We also use this forum to catalog our family life: two loving partners, two beautiful kids, car-free, child-centred, attachment-focused, with a love of food and health thrown into the mix!

Text-Book is Okay with Us!

Lyndze:  All of the books and websites said that for most people the "morning sickness" would end by week 11 and like magic, by mid-May, it was gone!  I still wasn't too interested in eating but I felt so much better!  Too bad Carleigh didn't visit a couple weeks later than she did :(

We shared the news to my staff team in a fun and creative word game where they had some letters they had to arrange into a secret sentence using clues.  The sentence was "Galaxy's pregnancy test was positive" and I'll never forget the way some of them were looking at me when they figured out that my name (my camp name is Galaxy) and the word "pregnancy" were both in the sentence - it was a mix of excitement and trepidation (could this be right, no, maybe?).

We went to see the second half of our midwife team, Uta, at week 12.  She was really friendly and put us both at ease right away.  She lives with some colleagues of ours (small world) and she is into Chinese Medicine and totally supports our view of preventive and natural health.  During this visit I was weighed (I had gained 1.5 pounds back), I had my sugars tested (no diabetes for me) and underwent some prodding to my middle (organs have shifted up and baby is taking up space).  Also, we got to hear the baby's heartbeat!  As soon as she put the Doppler on my middle we heard a fast, clear and obvious beating!  Uta described it as a confident heartbeat that said "Here I am!" and she was surprised by how easy it was to find (taking only seconds).  I was giddy about the whole thing - there is someone in there!  Everything seems text-book so far and I am okay with that!

Tyler:  As Lyndze moved beyond the worst parts of the morning sickness we began to get ready to tell our friends about the pregnancy.  For me, telling people has been a pretty fun but strange experience.  Aside from the camp staff, and a couple of close friends who gave us the over the top excited reaction, the experience has been pretty subdued and at times bordering on awkward.  Perhaps it was me not really knowing how to bring it up and them not really knowing the accepted social graces that landed me in a lot of conversations that sounded like this...  Me: "Hey, so I wanted to let you know that Lyndze is pregnant..."  Friend: "Really?"  Me: "Ya!" Friend: "Cool... What kinda of beer are you having"...  Or perhaps what was even better is having this similar conversation with a person (a guy usually) and the little smirk begins to rise on their face and I get a punch on the shoulder and a "Way to go champ!"

Lynde covered the midwife experience pretty well.  They are wonderful people that have been right in line with us on our ideals, thoughts and concerns.  It has been an incredibly positive and caring way to begin the pregnancy.  The heartbeat was an amazing experience. It was almost instantaneous from when Uta placed the Doppler on Lyndze's tummy to hearing a loud heartbeat.  Too cool!








I realize that no one sees a bump but Tyler and I.  But we see it!

It's right there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey it's London calling. I wanted to ask you 2 as to when it was approriate timing for me to get excited and express my exuberance and excitemnent about your pregnancy etc. Advise me T as to when I can start getting really excited. Actually I already am, but I've been trying to keep a low profile, but it's almost time for me to start speaking to some friends about you 2 and share with them how wonderful it is to be part of one of the most important time's of your live's. I'm thinking and watching everyday, I'm cheering for you two all the time and I look forward to being part of and enjoying your first child . . . get ready tyler, we need to talk . . hang in there you 2
" baby sitter not included "